Kids (and adults) will love these fried chicken and waffles as a sleepover snack.
• 1and ½ cups flour
• 3 tsp baking powder
• 1 tsp salt
• 1 tbsp sugar
• 1 and ¼ cups milk
• 1 egg
• 3 tbsn butter, melted
• 1 tsp vanilla
1. Stir together flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar in a large bowl.
2. Add milk, egg, butter, and vanilla to dry ingredients.
3. Whisk until a smooth batter forms. Heat waffle maker.
4. Pour ¼ cup batter into a small circle in the middle of waffle maker.
5. Wait till waffles are golden and crispy.
Buttermilk Fried Chicken
• 2 cups buttermilk
• 2 eggs
• 1 tsp paprika
• 1 tsp hot sauce
• salt and pepper to taste
• 2 tsp baking powder
• 1½ tsp baking soda
• 10 chicken tenderloins
• vegetable oil for frying
1. Wash your chicken and dry it with paper towels. In a bowl mix the liquid ingredients and spices, so the buttermilk, eggs, paprika, hot sauce, salt and pepper and mix really well. In another bowl, combine the baking powder and baking soda, and then whisk into the buttermilk until it becomes foamy.
2. In a shallow dish put about 2 cups of flour alongside the buttermilk mixture.
3. First dredge the chicken in the flour on all sides, then dip into the buttermilk mixture and make sure it's coated well all around. Dredge the chicken in flour one more time, then place the chicken on a plate, and repeat with all chicken pieces. So it's easy, flour, buttermilk, flour. If your flour gets too dirty just throw it out and start with some fresh flour.
4. In a frying pan, heat it lots of oil, at least an inch. Make sure the oil is hot enough. Do not put too many pieces at once, leave enough room in between the chicken, because you don't want them to stick together. Also if you put too much chicken, the chicken might not cook all the way through. The first side will take longer to cook maybe about 7 min, and the second side will cook faster, 3 to 5 minutes, so be patient and let the chicken cook properly. Repeat with remaining chicken.
5. After the chicken is fried, place them on paper towels to soak up some of the oil and sprinkle some salt over it.
Fried Chicken and Waffles:
Place a piece of fried chicken on top of waffle and drizzle maple syrup over.
Beef empanadas and a glass of flavored milk is a great weekend snack.
Makes: 12 empanadas
Start to finish: 2 hours
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 1 small onion, diced
• 3 garlic cloves, minced
• 1 jalapeño, seeded and minced
• 1 pound ground beef
• 3 tablespoons taco seasoning
• One 15-ounce can diced tomatoes
• Salt and freshly ground black pepper
• 2 packages prepared pie dough (2 crusts total)
• 1 egg
1. Preheat the oven to 425°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. In a medium sauté pan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté until tender, 4 to 5 minutes. Add the garlic and jalapeño, and sauté until fragrant, 1 minute more.
3. Add the ground beef and cook until well browned, 5 to 6 minutes. Add the taco seasoning and tomatoes, then bring to a simmer, mixing to combine. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer the mixture to a bowl and cool slightly.
4. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough to flatten any creases. Using a cookie cutter or the rim of a glass (about 3 inches in diameter), cut circles from the dough. You may need to flour the cookie cutter or glass between cuts. (Note: You can reroll the scraps of pie dough once to cut more circles.)
5. Place 2 tablespoons of filling in the center of a dough circle. Brush one side of the dough with water, then fold the dough over the filling, pressing gently to seal. Use the tines of a fork to fully seal the edge of the dough. Repeat with the remaining dough circles and filling. (The empanadas can be made up to this point and frozen in an airtight container. Thaw overnight in the fridge before moving on to step 6.)
6. Transfer the empanadas to the prepared baking sheets. If the dough feels sticky, refrigerate for 15 to 30 minutes.
7. In a small bowl, whisk the egg with 1 tablespoon water to combine. Brush the egg wash onto each empanada.
8. Bake until golden brown, 15 to 18 minutes. Cool at least 15 minutes before serving. Serve warm or at room temperature.
• 1 cup of Milk
• 1 Tsp almond extract
• a dash of ground cinnamon
• Garnish with a cinnamon stick
Roasted red pepper veggeti pasta topped with grilled chicken and paired with milk.
Start to Finish: 1 hr
• 2 red bell peppers
• 2-3 Tbsp olive oil
• 2 shallots, finely chopped
• 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
• Sea salt and ground black pepper
• 1.5 cups milk
• 2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
• 1.5 Tbsp cornstarch or arrowroot powder (or other thickener of choice)
• Pinch red pepper flake (optional, for heat)
• 4 zucchinis
• FOR SERVING
• Finely chopped fresh parsley or basil
• Crumbled goat cheese
• Grilled chicken
1. Heat oven to 500 degrees F and roast red peppers on a baking sheet until charred - about 25-30 minutes. Cover in foil for 10 minutes to steam, then remove (peel away) charred skin, seeds and stems. Set aside.
2. Using a spiral vegetable cutter, cut 4 zucchinis and set aside.
3. While the red peppers are roasting, bring a large skillet over medium heat and sautee onion and garlic in 2-3 Tbsp olive oil until golden brown and soft - about 4-5 minutes. Season with a generous pinch of salt and pepper and stir. Remove from heat and set aside.
4. Transfer sautéed shallot and garlic to blender with roasted peppers, milk, red pepper flake, nutritional yeast and cornstarch. Season with desired amount of salt, pepper and red pepper flake.
5. Blend until creamy and smooth, taste and adjust seasonings as needed, adding more salt and pepper or nutritional yeast for flavor. You want the flavor to be pretty robust and strong since the noodles don't have much flavor - so be generous with your seasonings.
6. Once blended, place sauce back in the skillet over medium heat to thicken. Once it reaches a simmer, reduce heat to low and continue simmering.
7. Once sauce is thickened to desired consistency (see photo), add noodles. However, before tossing add a touch more olive oil, salt and pepper to the un-tossed noodles for added flavor. Then, toss to coat.
8. Serve with (generous amounts of) goat cheese, red pepper flake and fresh chopped parsley or basil and grilled chicken.